Pages

Bologna to Bolognese: Adventures With Food

Food is necessary. Food is fun. Food is an adventure!

My name is Shannon and this is my adventure, my love affair with food.

I hope you'll come along for the ride.

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Pizza with Pizazz



My husband and I love to make our own pizza and a fun summer twist to your everyday homemade pizza is grilled pizza. Yep you heard right GRILLED! It’s so simple yet elegant, it makes a great meal to prepare when you have friends coming over. You can prepare whatever toppings you like but I find a Margherita pizza suites me best for grilling.

I cheat a little on my crust because I like the boxed Jiffy Pizza Crust mix. I do doctor it a bit however.

Crust
(makes 4 small or 2 large personal pizzas)

2 Jiffy Pizza Crust mixes
1 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes
1 Tsp Garlic powder
1 Tsp Onion powder
1 Tbsp Parsley

Before adding water to mix add all spices and mix well. Knead the dough briefly to bring it all together then set aside in an oiled bowl to rise. (following box directions) After initial rise, knead briefly then separate into two to four pieces. Gently stretch each piece into a circle and lay on a cookie sheet dusted with corn meal. Place rounds on a hot grill for 2-5 minutes per side or until almost fully baked. (It should be firm enough to flip gently with a spatula) Remove from the heat.

Toppings

1-2 Tomatoes Sliced
6 Cloves Garlic diced
1 Buffalo Mozzarella sliced
7-8 large basil leaves cut into ribbons
3-4 tablespoons of olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste.

In a small pan sauté the garlic in the olive oil over low heat. You want to infuse the oil with the garlic flavor. I usually crush the garlic before dicing it to release more of the juices.

Topping the pizza

Brush the crust with the garlic Olive oil (I also like to add the now crispy bits of diced garlic to mine) lay on some ribbons of basil and slices of tomato. I lightly sprinkle some salt and pepper over the tomatoes and then top with the cheese. Return to the grill for an additional 2 minutes (with the lid closed)or until cheese is hot and melted.



Feel free to branch out and be adventurous. This is a great medium for trying new things and just perfect for a summer garden party with friends. It’s simple, inexpensive, everyone gets their own personal pizza plus the novelty will keep everyone entertained.

No comments:

Post a Comment