Pages

Bologna to Bolognese: Adventures With Food

Food is necessary. Food is fun. Food is an adventure!

My name is Shannon and this is my adventure, my love affair with food.

I hope you'll come along for the ride.

Monday, September 27, 2010

Spicy Butter Bean Dip


Over the past couple weeks you may have noticed the lapse in new posts but I have been adventuring in unfamiliar territory and only now am ready to share again. That unfamiliar territory is the world of calorie counting. In the past I have tried, unsuccessfully, to keep a strict low calorie diet. Now with more restaurants offering healthier options and nutrition information on their menus it is easier to make informed and healthy choices. But what about snacking? When you have a craving for an indulgent snack how do you turn away creamy dips and crisp chips for something healthier? You make it of course and have I got a treat for you. While counting calories I have also had the opportunity to see what nutrients I am getting enough of and in what areas I am lacking. This brings us to the lovely Legume. They are a terrific source of nutrients and luckily they are awful tasty as well. So the next time you have a craving but want to keep it healthy try this scrumptious Spicy Butter Bean Dip. It not only tastes great but is high in iron, potassium, fiber and vitamin C.


Ingredients : Makes 4 servings

12 oz butter beans (1 can drained)
3 teaspoons garlic
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp parsley
1 tsp olive oil

Preparation:

Drain most of the liquid off the beans (reserve maybe 2 tsp) and combine with the remaining ingredients in a food processor or blender. Process for a few minutes until combined. Add the reserved bean liquid or a dash of lemon juice to adjust the consistency to your preference. I like raw veggies for snacking as long as I can dip them in something, so try this dip served with broccoli stems sliced like chips for a healthy snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment