Pages

Bologna to Bolognese: Adventures With Food

Food is necessary. Food is fun. Food is an adventure!

My name is Shannon and this is my adventure, my love affair with food.

I hope you'll come along for the ride.

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Wonderful White Chili


Recently I’ve added a new segment to my daily radio program called “Mid Day Munchies”. Each week I pick a topic and daily talk about different recipes or aspects of a food as the week progresses. So a few weeks ago I chose Chili as my topic. It was a wonderful adventure discovering the rich history of the chili queens and chili parlors and delving into the controversy of beans or no beans in chili. However the most odd thing for me remains the concept of a “White Chili”. I really feel chili needs to be luscious chunks of red meat with rich tomato based sauce and lots of spices. Since I featured it on my show though I thought I should give it a shot in my kitchen. So after some adjustments I am happy with this Wonderful White Chili.

Ingredients: (Serves 6)

4 cups chicken broth
32 oz beans, great northern
1 lb ground turkey
1/4 cup pearl barley
1 onion
2 cups celery
1 tsp cumin
2 tbsp chilies
1 tsp bay leaf
1 tsp pepper
3 tbsp garlic

Preparation:

Sauté the onions and celery in a deep pan on the stove until slightly softened. Add the ground turkey and garlic and cook until meat is no longer pink. De glaze the pan with some of the chicken stock and combine with the remaining ingredients in a crock-pot. Cook on high for two hours or until the celery is tender and the barley is cooked through. If you don’t have a crock pot add the remaining ingredients to your cooking pot on the stove, bring to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer stirring occasionally for about 1-2 hours. I like the crock-pot because it’s more out of sight out of mind and I can do other things while I wait for the soup to finish.

This is even better served in a yummy bread bowl but if you eliminate the bread you’ll find this dish is not only tasty but also chocked full of nutrients and very filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment