Pages

Bologna to Bolognese: Adventures With Food

Food is necessary. Food is fun. Food is an adventure!

My name is Shannon and this is my adventure, my love affair with food.

I hope you'll come along for the ride.

Thursday, June 30, 2011

A Touch of Southern Tradition, Ham Steak With Red Eye Gravy


For years and years I have heard and read about Ham Steaks and Red Eye Gravy. Not having had the opportunity to try it I continue to be intrigued. In an effort to give an All-American classic a fair shake I decided to give it a shot and was pleasantly surprised!

While incredibly simple this dish is delicious and eminently satifying. It's often served with eggs and biscuts or at the very least cornbread or grits. I decided to pair it with cornmeal mush and creamed spinach for a nice weeknight dinner.



Ingredients:

Ham Steak
1/2 - 1 cup of coffee
1 tsp flour (optional)

The Ham Steak itself is simple. Try to select one with a little bit of fat (not too much) along one edge. Then in a skillet over medium heat brown the ham on both sides. When the ham has reached desired doneness, Browned but not dried out or hard, remove it from the pan and trim the fat which you will then add back into the pan. Render the fat until it dissapates and deglaze pan with 1/2-1 cup of black coffee. You will notice, and traditionalists will already be knashing their teeth over this, I included and optional teaspoon of flour. Traditionally no flour is used but I really like my gravy a bit thicker so I added just a smidge.

Serve this up with on a bed of cornmeal mush with a side of creamed spinach and you have yourself a delightful weeknight dinner inspired by a great southern traditional dish.


No comments:

Post a Comment