Pages

Bologna to Bolognese: Adventures With Food

Food is necessary. Food is fun. Food is an adventure!

My name is Shannon and this is my adventure, my love affair with food.

I hope you'll come along for the ride.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

SHHHHHH! It's a secret.


As with any good adventure this delectable tidbit comes with a back story. When I was first out of college I did some temp work at an industrial chemical company in Ohio. I worked in the sales room and one day we had one of those pot lucks where everyone brings their best kitchen goodies. Well one of my co-workers brought in a crock pot of deliciousness. I think it was short ribs but all I really remember was the sauce. It was a hit with everyone and that led to the story. She explained that the sauce was a secret family recipe from her husband's mother and she wasn't allowed to know how to make it until they got married. So you ask, how do I have it? Well the story continues... It turns out her husband had just recently left her and their two young children. So with no hesitation she wrote out the recipe and made photocopies all around. I believe her last comment on the subject was "Share it!" and I have done my best over the years to do just that. So here is the secret Kreuger family rib sauce. It's so fantastic you'll want to make it your own family secret but I hope you'll share it instead!

Kruger Rib Sauce

4 Tbsp butter
1 large Vidalia Onion (At least! The more there are the better it is)
1 large bottle ketchup (I find the generic brands work better)
2 c brown sugar
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground red pepper
1 ½ tsp paprika

(You can increase the spices if you want more heat, though I suggest trying it as is first. Another change that is equally scrumptious is to add Chipotle chili to give the sauce a smoky southwestern flair. )

Dice your onion and sweat it in a large pan with the butter. Add the ketchup, spices and brown sugar. Stir well and simmer for 1 hour or until thick.

This sauce is fantastic on ribs but goes equally well with chicken, meatballs and just about any other meat that presents itself for grilling. Ok, I'll admit it this sauce is so good I could drink it, and I'm not the only one! Once you've tasted this you may never go back to another rib sauce. Enjoy and remember to pass it along!

No comments:

Post a Comment